75% of people don’t click past the first page of Google and a whopping 30% of search traffic goes directly to whatever website occupies the first position. This means that if your website isn’t ranking near the top of the first page of search results, then you’re losing valuable traffic to your competitors. But, the only way to keep up with your performance is to know what a Google ranking check is and how to leverage it to your advantage.
Two important steps you need to take to help your website reach the first page of search results are:
- Regularly perform Google ranking checks
- Use a Google keyword ranking tool
Continue reading to learn how to put these tips into practice and for a list of the best Google rank checkers you can use to accurately monitor keyword positions in Google.
Why Google Ranking Tools Are Still Important
Have you ever asked yourself “how do I check my Google ranking?”
Google’s slight shift towards personalized search results has many people wondering if having a search engine position tool is even necessary. And with the almost complete personalization of the user experience on other platforms like Facebook and Youtube, it’s not hard to see why people wonder if search engine rankings are also highly subjective.
The reality is that Google search results continue to be largely static with only slight variations depending on searcher location and language.
There is also some personalization that occurs based on a searcher’s browsing history with sites a person has already visited being ranked one or two positions higher — though it’s not fully clear how this sort of customization affects rankings in 2021.
All that to say, Google search ranking tools are still vital to doing good SEO. They help you measure how your website is performing and enable you to research and track keyword data.
- More helpful reading: How to Rank Higher on Google & Get Your Website To Show Up
Why Is Keyword Ranking Tracking Important?
Here are three ways that Google rank checker tools help your website’s SEO:
- Content Development: Keyword tracking eliminates the risk of writing content that won’t appeal to your target audience. By researching keywords, you can create content around keywords that you know people are searching for. Additionally, research programs help you evaluate searcher intent and keyword difficulty so that you can strategically target the ideal keywords for your site.
- Competition Analysis: A massive advantage of keyword tracking tools is that they allow you to keep an eye on your competitors. These programs enable you to see what keywords competing websites have the top positions and deliver insights that help you boost your site above the competition.
- Marketing Strategy Optimization: Keyword tools also help you forecast upcoming rank improvement opportunities for your website — ensuring that you stay on the cutting edge of what your audience is searching for.
- More helpful reading: What Is SEO Writing or Copywriting Articles: How to Write SEO Content as a Writer
How the Best Google Rank Checker Helps Your Website
In addition to researching keywords, another major step towards ranking your website is using a Google search engine position checker. Benefits of using a Google rank checker include:
- SEO Checkups: Rank checkers help you see how your website’s SEO is performing. They do this by showing exactly where each page on your website lands on the search engine results page (SERP). By tracking the performance of your site, you can make edits to pages that are underperforming and replicate the success of pages that are performing well.
- Website Gap Analysis: Trackers can also help you spot gaps in your keywords and check Google rank position leaders for each term, in other words, where competing sites have a high rank for things you’ve forgotten to add to your own site. By tracking these gaps, you can close the distance between you and sites ranking above yours, eventually passing them on the SERPs.
In summary, both keyword and website position tracking are crucial to your site’s SEO strategy. And fortunately, most SEO tools include both capabilities, meaning that you can accomplish both data needs with a single search engine program!
With this in mind, let’s dive into a list of the best Google keyword ranking tools to check your Google ranking available in 2021.
4 Best Google Position Checker Tools in 2021
The rest of this blog post will introduce you to 4 of the best ranking checker tools available. To help you determine which method is best for you, I’ll be evaluating them using these factors:
- Competition Analysis: I’ll explain how each program helps you spy on the competition.
- Keyword Tracking: I’ll also explain how each platform helps you research and track keyword data.
- Ease of Use: We understand that you’re busy and need a fast solution, so programs that are intuitive to use and require less training will rank higher.
- Cost: I’ll tell you how much premium plans cost. Tools that optimally balance capabilities and costs will appear higher on the list.
- Trial plans: I’ll let you know which programs allow you to test ride them before committing to a premium plan.
Let’s go! These are the best Google rankings tools available in 2021.
Coming in at position 1, the best tool on this list is AHREFS — an all-in-one SEO data solution that enables you to track keywords, analyze the competition, do an SEO audit, and track your progress on different search engines, all within the same program.
Competition Analysis Capabilities
AHREFS enables you to track the rankings of your own site to see where each of your pages falls on the SERPs. You can also track the performance of competing sites and conduct a content gap analysis to quickly identify opportunities for improvement. Simply enter a competing domain name and AHREFS will reveal that website’s rankings, PPC (Google Ads) efforts, keywords, and more!
AHREFS’ advanced keyword gap capabilities allow you to do a gap analysis at a URL or subfolder level. While other programs can only perform a gap analysis against an entire site, AHREFS allows you to niche down and, for example, limit the gap analysis to your /blog and a competing /blog. This is a huge advantage when it comes to improving your content/article marketing.
- More helpful reading: 60 Of The Best Free SEO Tools To Audit Keywords, Do Online Competitor Research – & More!
Keyword Rank Tracking Capabilities
When it comes to Google keyword data tracking tools, AHREFS continues to excel. Within this single tool you can:
- See exactly what keyword position rankings your site and competing sites have with different search engines and which pages garner the most traffic.
- See if competitors in your city are doing paid search advertising and which keywords they use.
- View historical keyword rankings to see how a keyword has ranked over time and how the algorithm and searcher intent has evolved for that keyword.
- Conduct advanced keyword research, including return rates, clicks per search, keyword difficulty, search volume, keyword suggestions, SERP history, and more!
Another advantage of keyword tracking in AHREFS is that this tool also tells you roughly how many backlinks you need in order to rank for a keyword.
Tool Ease of Use
The AHREFS SEO ranking and tracking tool is intuitively designed and easy to use for people with little knowledge of SEO or little experience with a keyword position checker.
Navigating the site is a breeze, with the “Site Explorer” (ranking checks) and “Keywords Explorer” (keyword position tracking) tools easily available from the always-present menu bar.
And while the tool is incredibly easy for beginners to use, learning more about its capabilities can help you seriously level up your SEO strategy. For people who want to take advantage of the full power of AHREFS, the company releases weekly SEO tutorials on their YouTube channel and has a massive blog of well-written training resources.
AHREFS is competitively priced in four different tiers. You can select the optimal tier for your business based on the intensity of the SEO needs of your webpage. These pricing tiers are:
- Lite – $99 per month. This plan is ideal for single sites and allows you to track 500 keywords with updates every 7 days, explore 700 URLs per week, and much more.
- Standard – $179 per month. This tier allows you to track 1,500 keywords with updates every 5 days, explore 3,500 URLs and 700 domains per week, and much more.
- Advanced – $399 per month. Track 5,000 keywords with updates every 3 days and explore 1,750 domains, 14,000 URLs, and much more every week.
- Agency – $999 per month. Track a whopping 10,000 keywords with updates every 3 days and explore 7,000 domains, 35,000 URLs, and a crazy amount more.
If you’d like to take AHREFS for a test drive, you can try out the Standard or Lite plans for a week by paying $7.
Thanks to AHREFS’ robust competitor analysis and keyword rank tracking tools, and their fair balance of pricing and capabilities, this is the #1 ranking checker tool that most of the SEO experts here at Fannit use.
- More helpful reading: SEO Basics: Learn How To Do SEO In 2021 Beginners Guide (Google Starter)
Another Google position checker powerhouse is SEMRush — an all-inclusive suite of research tools that comes with keyword tracking, rank tracking, and much more.
Check Google Position Website and Competition Analysis Capabilities
The competitor research capabilities of SEMRush are impressive, as you can easily submit a domain for analysis and learn its authority score, site traffic, backlinks, keywords, and more. Additionally, you can also check Google position ranking metrics for your pages as well.
One unique perk of SEMRush’s competition analysis and Google position check feature is its “competitive positioning map,” which shows you how a site is performing against competitors in your city, delivered via a user-friendly and easy-to-read graph.
Keyword Tracking Capabilities
Just like AHREFS, SEMRush can help you find out:
- Keyword search volume data
- Keyword ranking difficulty data
- Competitor analysis of who is already ranking for target keywords
- Historical data for search traffic
A major advantage SEMRush’s keyword rankings capabilities is that you can effectively track PPC keywords with this tool. SEMRush does this by returning detailed CPC distribution and competition data, as well as live ads. Basically, you can craft entire PPC campaigns within this tool.
One disadvantage of SEMRush is that it can only be used to analyze Google search results. If you need to analyze searches from other search engines like Youtube, Amazon, or Bing, then I’d recommend AHREFS or one of the other ranking tools on this list.
Tool Ease of Use
SEMRush requires a fair bit of training in order to use properly. Another hiccup is that tracking and research information can be hard to interpret for someone who is new to SEO and tracking tools. And while AHREFS makes it easy to get to your destination in just a couple of clicks, SEMRush requires a bit more clicking around in order to navigate the site.
SEMRush offers three pricing options:
- Pro – $120 per month. Allows you to track 500 keywords simultaneously with daily updates (but no historical data) and 3,000 analytics reports per day.
- Guru – $230 per month. Allows you to track 1,500 keywords simultaneously with daily updates and the ability to request 5,000 analytics reports per day.
- Business – $450 per month. Allows you to track 5,000 keywords simultaneously with daily updates and the ability to request up to 10,000 analytics reports per day.
The high pricing of SEMRush’s bottom tiers is one of the reasons why I’ve put this tracking tool in the #2 spot. While its features are robust, AHREFS offers equally powerful capabilities for a better price.
That said, a nice benefit of SEMRush is that it offers a 7-day free trial for the Pro and Guru tiers. So if you’re stuck deciding which Google position tracker is best for you, I’d recommend using this free trial first and then signing up for AHREFS $7 trial if SEMRush is a bit too complex to use or lacks the features you’re looking for.
- More helpful reading: What Is Technical SEO? Beginner’s Checklist to Managing Search Engine Optimization
3. Moz Rank Checker
Moz Rank Checker is one of the tools that come with a subscription to Moz Pro — a suite of SEO tools that includes a keyword explorer, link explorer, website crawler, rank tracker, and more!
Competition Analysis Capabilities
Combining Moz’s rank tracker with their link explorer gives you access to valuable competitive insights. This includes tracking the movement of competitors’ keywords in Google search, competing domain authority, their backlinks, spam score (the percentage of backlinks that are from spammy sites), and the keywords that they’re ranking for. All you need to do is type a competing domain name in the URL exploration tool and Moz will analyze the website for you.
That said, when it comes to competition analysis capabilities, Moz covers all the basics but doesn’t have any especially unique features. All the competitive features Moz has, you can also find in AHREFS and SEMrush.
Keyword Tracking Capabilities
Like AHREFS and SEMRush, the Moz keyword position checker is great for evaluating keyword Google search volume, difficulty, and click-through rates. Moz also delivers helpful SERP analysis and can help you develop your content strategy by introducing you to suggested keywords. A perk of Moz is that it allows you to evaluate keywords in multiple search engines.
One unique Moz feature is the keyword list dashboard, which allows you to compile a list of keywords and easily check the strength of your list by creating data visualizations of your list’s organic CTR, difficulty ranking, search volume, and more.
Tool Ease of Use
Moz’s simple, streamlined dashboards set it apart from SEMRush and AHREFS and are ideal for SEO rankings beginners. Report data is color-coded and well described for easy interpretation. Also, the dashboards emphasize white space and minimal menu options, making Moz’s tools easy to navigate.
Another win for SEO beginners is the Moz blog and Youtube channel, both of which are well-stocked with fresh training and the latest SEO tactics. Whether or not you purchase Moz’s Rank Checker, we highly recommend bookmarking their blog for future reference.
Moz Pro offers four pricing plans, including:
- Standard – $99 per month. Allows you to track 300 keyword rankings with weekly updates, perform 150 keyword queries per month, and conduct 5 on-demand domain crawls per month.
- Medium – $149 per month. Track 800 keyword rankings with weekly updates, perform 5,000 Google positions check requests per month, and conduct 30 on-demand domain crawls per month.
- Large – $249 per month. Enables you to track 1,900 keyword rankings with weekly updates, perform 15,000 keyword queries per month, and conduct 60 on-demand domain crawls per month.
- Premium – $599 per month. Track 4,500 keyword rankings with weekly updates, perform 30,000 keyword queries per month, and conduct 100 on-demand domain crawls per month.
A great perk of the Moz toolset is that Moz offers a 30-day free trial of the Medium tier, giving you free access to useful SEO rankings tools for one month.
But, despite this free trial and the incredibly intuitive navigation user interface, I’ve put Moz Pro and its rank checker tool at position #3. This is because Moz’s capabilities aren’t nearly as powerful as SEMRush and AHREFS, and yet this tool costs just as much as the other two options.
For example, Ahref’s $99 tier enables you to track the rankings of 500 keywords and research 700 domains per month, while Moz’s $99 tier only permits you to track 300 keywords and research 5 domains per month.
All this to say, Moz Pro is ideal for new SEOs who only need to manage one or two sites and can appreciate Moz’s streamlined and basic interface and services. If you’re new to SEO, we highly recommend you take advantage of Moz’s free trial so that you can get experience working with a Google keyword ranking tool before trying out the more complex dashboards of SEMRush and AHREFS.
- More helpful reading: How To Get Your Website To Show Up First On Google Search (Page 1 Guaranteed)
4. Google Search Console
The last entry on this list, Google Search Console is a versatile tool that you can use to check Google ranking performance for your site and to discover which keyword rankings your business website has.
I’m starting this one off with cost because the strongest benefit of Google Search Console is that it’s free! This makes it ideal if you have an extremely tight budget or are looking for a complimentary resource that you can pair with one of the other search rankings services listed above.
Competition Analysis Capabilities
One major disadvantage of solely relying on Google Search Console is that it doesn’t let you research your competitors. This is because your Google Search Console account only crawls your website and can’t be used to crawl competitors’ websites.
Keyword Tracking Capabilities
Where Google Search Console really excels is tracking keyword rankings and helping you develop your content marketing strategy. While not as intuitive as the other ranking checkers on this list, Google’s Search Console can help you track which keywords you’re currently ranking for and how each page on your business is performing in terms of search rankings.
Ease of Use
Google Search Console excels at helping you explore your own URL search results, but as this is a free method, it does require a bit more clicking around and training than most of the other options on this list.
- More helpful reading: SEO Tips: Blog Optimization Tricks & Advice (Good Google Search Marketing Techniques & Rules)
Disappointed With Your Google Rankings?
If you’ve used one of these three tools to evaluate your website rankings on Google, odds are, you’re not where you’d like to be.
Your position in the search results depends on dozens of factors, including the number of backlinks pointing to your site, the quality of your written content, website loading speed, click-through rates, and more.
Whether you’re hoping to increase your organic traffic flow, boost sales, or get your site to position #1 on search results pages, the team of SEO experts here at Fannit is standing by and ready to help. For nearly 15 years we’ve been helping businesses of all sizes improve their Google rankings and boost sales.
To learn more about how our internet marketing specialists can help you boost your rankings, please contact our team today.